Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Division of Academic Affairs

Second-Semester Freshmen Advising

 What is it?

All freshmen are required to have an academic advising session in spring before registering for their fall classes. A hold will be placed on the student center as a reminder to complete this advising at the students earliest opportunity.

Undeclared Students: You will be sent an email to sign up for a one-on-one advising session with your Academic Counselor. Watch for it in the month of February.

Declared Major: Your College Advising Center is reaching out and providing information on how to fulfill this requirement. You may also contact your College Advising Center to learn more.

Registration for Fall 2017 begins in early November. Do not wait! The earlier you complete your mandatory advising, the less stressed you will be!

You must go to your major or program adviser for your advising session if you are in one of the following programs/major:

  • Engineering (all majors)
  • Liberal Studies
  • Music
  • College of Science & Math (see A.R.C.)
  • Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)
  • Pre-Business
  • Economics
  • College of Health and Human Services (all majors - see HHS Student Services Center)
  • College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP)
  • Pre-Psychology (See Psychology Department)
  • Smittcamp Family Honors College
  • Student-Athletes
  • TRiO Support Services

All other students have three options to fulfill their advising requirement. Choose ONE from the following:

  1. Meet with your major adviser.  (All undeclared students select option 2 or 3).
  2. Complete an online workshop through Blackboard. You may self-enroll by going to "Hot Spots" (along the top menu bar, toward the middle) on Blackboard then enroll into the Freshman Advising Workshop. (NOTE: This option will not satisfy the requirement for those students who are part of the list above).
  3. Attend a workshop by the University Advising Center.  Click here to register.

NOTE: Individual appointments with University Advising Center counselors will NOT satisfy this requirement. If you have seen your major adviser and the hold is still there, contact them.