Ronald E. McNair Program
Program Awards and Benefits
As a McNair Scholar you will...
- be matched with a faculty mentor whose research interests are related to your own academic interests.
- participate in a competitive eight-week summer research project under the direction of your faculty mentor from approximately June 1 through August 1 and gain recommendation to receive up to a $2,700 competitive stipend.
- write an abstract and paper based on your summer research findings which will be published in the McNair Scholars' Journal and presented at the annual McNair Research Symposium.
- attend seminars designed to introduce participants to the nature of graduate education, and to successful role models who have obtained doctoral degrees.
- attend research and teaching institutes designed to increase participants' knowledge of the culture of the academy.
- participate in an intensive GRE workshop.
- receive assistance in defining, setting, and realizing your education goals, as well as in applying to graduate programs of your choice.
- be eligible for a $200 stipend to offset academic doctoral program application costs.
- benefit from a supportive network of McNair Scholars, who, like you, are working toward a graduate degree.
- have the opportunity to attend a professional meeting or conference with your faculty mentor or to visit selected institutions for research purposes with your faculty mentor.
- benefit from ongoing support from faculty mentors and program staff dedicated to ensuring student advancement.