Canvas at Fresno State
For several years our campus, along with the California State University system, explored learning management system (LMS) options.
During Spring 2018:
- Some of our faculty ran trials of the three systems approved under a system wide agreement-Blackboard Ultra, Brightspace, and Canvas;
- We surveyed faculty and students about LMS usage (many of our students have used both Blackboard and Canvas since the latter is used by all of the community colleges);
- We held focus groups with full time and part time faculty;
- A faculty learning community met throughout the semester to consider the alternatives;
- Results from these efforts were shared with the academic senate.
After careful consideration, we adopted the Canvas LMS.
During academic year 2018-2019, both Blackboard Learn and Canvas were available. Selected faculty adopted Canvas in Fall 2018 with limited training and support. We appreciated and applied forward feedback from these early adopters.
A wider roll-out with expanded training and support occurred during Spring 2019. Beginning with the Summer 2019 term, Blackboard was no longer available and all courses have since been taught in Canvas.