Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Division of Research and Graduate Studies

Admissions Process

Applications Deadlines: Fall - October 1 - June 1.  Spring: August 1 - November 1
Deadline subject to change; please contact program department for the most current deadline information.

The minimum university requirements for admission to graduate and post-baccalaureate studies at a California State University campus are in accordance with university regulations as well as Title V, chapter 1, subchapter 3 of the California Code of Regulations. Specifically, a student shall (1) hold an acceptable baccalaureate degree from an institution accredited by a regional accrediting association, or have completed equivalent academic preparation as determined by appropriate campus authorities; (2) be in good academic standing at the last college or university attended; (3) have satisfied any one of the following: [a] attained a GPA of at least 2.5 in an acceptable earned baccalaureate degree, or [b] attained a GPA of at least 2.5 in the last 60 semester units (90 quarter units) attempted, or [c] hold an acceptable post-baccalaureate degree earned at an institution accredited by a regional accrediting association; and (4) satisfactorily meet the professional, personal, scholastic, and other standards for graduate study, including qualifying examinations, as appropriate campus authorities may prescribe. (University Catalog)

NOTE: You must indicate one of the following degree objectives on your application.

  • Specific Graduate Degree Program
  • Credential Program
  • Specific Certificate of Advanced Study

Applicants who are undeclared may apply through open university (Division of Continuing and Global Education, 278.0333).

Graduate Admissions Office

Upon receipt of your application, you will receive an electronic acknowledgment verifying receipt of your application.

  • The Graduate Admissions Office will determine if a student meets university admission requirements.

    All transcripts and test scores must be received before eligibility can be determined (this doesn’t apply to returning Fresno State students with no enrollment elsewhere). Your application cannot be sent to the degree program for review until all transcripts and test results are received. The transcripts should be forwarded to: Graduate Admissions Office, 5150 North Maple, JA 57, Fresno, CA 93740-8026.  Your test scores should be delivered electronically to the university through the respective testing service. 
  • If you are eligible for consideration (see above requirements), all application materials will be sent to the Graduate Program Coordinator for an admission decision to the program/university.
    All application materials required by the program (letters of intent, letters of recommendation and/or program application) should be submitted directly to the graduate coordinator/department office.

Admission application for international graduate students  
TOEFL requirement for international students

For more information on the graduate admissions process, please visit the Graduate Admissions Office website.

Program Admission Notification

After program faculty have reviewed your application materials, they will notify the Graduate Admission Office of the admission decision. You will receive a letter indicating your program admission status or denial to the program.

  • You may check your admission status at anytime through My Fresno State. Instructions on accessing your admission status are emailed to you upon receipt of your application.

Special Admits
Some denied applicants to the university (those who were ineligible due to GPA, for example), may appeal by requesting special admission. Information detailing the process, “Instructions & Guidelines for Post-baccalaureate/Graduate Request for Special Admission,” and the supporting form, “Assessment for Special Admission,” are available in the Division of Research and Graduate Studies office, Thomas Building, Room 130, as well as the Graduate Admissions Office, Joyal Administration Building, Room 121

Readmission of Returning Students - Break in Enrollment

  • More than one semester break - Full application, plus application fee.

Change of Degree Objective

Continuing students wanting to

  • change from unclassified ("undeclared") status to a specific degree program,
  • change their major (degree program and/or option)
  • declare pursuit of a credential only, or
  • add a second master's degree objective

must file an "Application for Change of Graduate Degree or Certificate of Advanced Study" in the Division of Research and Graduate Studies, Thomas 130. A $5 fee will be assessed.

Cost of Attendance

For more information please visit:

  • Class Schedule or Accounting Services
  • Questions pertaining to your teacher credential classification may be directed to the campus Credential Office in the Kremen School of Education at 559.278.0300.
  • Questions pertaining to your undergraduate/post-baccalaureate class level status may be directed to the Admissions and Records Office at 559.278.2261.