Division of Research and Graduate Studies
THESIS 299 PROCESS
- File a Petition of Advancement to Candidacy form with the
- Select a thesis topic and write a proposal, if required by
your program. Select a chairperson and two committee members for
your thesis committee (the chair and one other committee member
must be graduate faculty from your degree program).
- Determine (check with your chair) whether or not you need to
file a Human or Animal Subjects clearance for your thesis, and
start the process as soon as possible.
- Complete the top half of the Thesis (299) Committee
Assignment sheet form, including your topic and committee
members; get the required signatures; and file this form with the
Complete this form before you sign up for thesis units in
- Enroll in your department for your thesis units (Thesis 299).
(For summer enrollment, you will need to pick up your enrollment
form from the Division of Graduate Studies office.)
- Establish a timeline and meeting schedule with your chair and
your committee. Include goals for each stage of thesis
development and establish member responsibilities.
- Download from the Thesis Office Web site the university's
Guidelines for Thesis Preparation and obtain a copy of
the style manual/journal style sheet used in your program.
Check with your thesis chair if you are not sure of the
correct choice of manual/journal style sheet.
- Organize your work, do your research, and write your study,
staying in close touch with your committee. Get the Thesis
Template from the Thesis Office Web site, if using MS Word.
- Maintain university enrollment throughout each semester of
your thesis work, either through regular university enrollment
(required of all international students) or (for those domestic
students who have completed all their coursework) through 0 units
GS Continuation. Students intending to graduate in summer must
register for the summer term.
- At the beginning of the semester (first two weeks) or summer
term (three weeks) when you intend to graduate, apply for
graduation. Be sure you are also registered (see #9 above).
- Note the posted deadline for final thesis submission to the
Graduate Division. When you have finished your thesis and have
obtained approval of all members of your thesis committee, submit
your final thesis to the Blackboard portal for electronic review
(see Thesis Office Web site for submission instructions).
- When you have been notified that your initial thesis review
is complete, retreive your thesis from the BB portal and make the
required corrections. Resubmit your revised thesis until all
corrections have been made and you are given clearance to print
your publication copy. Laser print your thesis,
collect your committee signatures on the Publication Copy
approval page, and submit this copy to the Graduate
Division for its final review and approval for binding. The
Thesis Consultant will obtain the Graduate Dean’s signature
- When given the final Thesis Office approval, take your
publication copy to the Kennel Bookstore Print and Copy Center
for copying onto acid-free 20-pound bond paper, pay the other
processing and binding fees at the university cashier, and bring
the payment form to the Graduate Division for final thesis
- Check with your department to assure that they have submitted your Master’s Degree Clearance form (which includes your thesis grade) to the Graduate Division by the posted clearance deadline.