Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Division of Academic Affairs

Faculty Recruitment Guidelines & Procedures

Last Revised: January 30, 2024

For assistance regarding the following guidelines and procedures, please contact Azucena Gutierrez in Academic Resources ( For all other faculty search policies and procedures, please go to the Faculty Affairs website.

Academic Year 2024-2025

Reimbursement Information for Tenure-Track Faculty Searches

Reimbursement for Relocation Expenses of New Tenure-Track Faculty

Academic Resources provides up to $2,500 for reimbursement of moving expenses incurred by newly hired tenure-track faculty.  The Academic Resource Office (ARO) will be instituting a new process for 2023-2024AY of issuing new tenure track faculty expense reimbursements utilizing a Payment of Reasonable Estimated Moving and Relocation Expenses Without Documentation form. The form will be filled out by ARO listing all new tenure track hires with their total awarded amount, it will then be routed to Faculty Affairs, the school/college Dean, and VP/President signatures as needed. The expenses will be charged to the department or college chartfield. Once the expense is reflected on datawarehouse, ARO will issue an ABJ of $2,500 per hire.

The new employee will be responsible for repayment of moving expenses if they leave before they have been here two years as noted in the limitation section of the guidelines. They are also responsible for understanding how reimbursement will impact their taxable income.

As in the past, school and college resources can be used to augment allowable expenditures that exceed the $2,500.  As is the case for recruitment, savings from one faculty move in a college cannot be used to augment relocation costs for another faculty member.

If you have any questions, regarding reimbursement of moving or recruitment expenditures, you may contact Azucena Gutierrez via email at

Repayment of Moving and Relocation Expense Reimbursements:

Section 8 of HR 2018-07 - "If an employee whose moving or relocation expenses have been reimbursed does not continue his/her employment with a CSU campus or the Chancellor's Office for a period of at least two years (unless discontinuance of the employment was the result of death, disability or other similar unexpected cause beyond the control of the employee as determined by the appointing authority), the employee or appropriate representative shall repay the following percentage of the amount received for reimbursement for such moving and relocation expenses:
     (a) 100% if employed less than 6 months.
     (b)   75% if employed at least 6 months but less than 12 months.
     (c)   50% if employed at least 12 months but less than 18 months.
     (d)   25% if employed at least 18 months but less than 24 months."

Another change made to these guidelines includes the clarification that the repayment of moving and relocation expenses refers to the employee's individual CSU campus not the CSU. If an employee does not continue his/her employment with a CSU campus and then is hired by a different CSU campus, depending on the timeframe stated in these guidelines, the employee shall repay the initial campus that had originally reimbursed him/her.

The campus shall ensure that a copy of these procedures is given to the employee upon notice to the employee of an impending move."

Taxable Income:

The tax reform bill (H.R. 1, P.L. 115-97), which was enacted on December 22, 2017, included a change to the taxation of moving and relocation expenses. Effective January 1, 2018, all moving expense reimbursements will be taxed as additional income to the employee, and will be subject to all withholding taxes. Reimbursement for any tax liabilities ("grossing up") incurred by the employee as the result of receiving reimbursement for relocation expenses is prohibited.

Please consult your tax adviser should you have any questions regarding these matters.

Reimbursements Made to International Faculty/Staff:

International faculty and staff who are under a F-1, J-1, or H1-B visa must provide the university with proper documentation of their visa status and work authorization, prior to authorization of payment or reimbursement.

Go to Top