Note: Academic Year Sabbatical leaves (1/2 pay), Difference-In-Pay leaves, and Unpaid Professional leaves reduce pay and therefore reduce retirement contributions. You may be eligible to purchase professional leave time. Contact Benefits for information about purchasing time upon your return at 278-2032.
Paid Professional Leaves
Professional Leave applications will be completed and reviewed in Interfolio. To request a case click here and complete the form to request a case in Interfolio
Sabbatical Leaves are available to full-time faculty and librarians in order to facilitate their professional development and thus enhance the overall quality of the University and its instructional programs.
There are 2 types of sabbaticals
- Full-pay Leave for 1 Semester
- Half-pay Leave for 1 Academic Year (Fall and Spring)
Eligibility for a Sabbatical: complete six full-time years in the previous 7 years following any previous sabbatical leave or six consecutive full-time years for since apponitment.
Difference-in-Pay compensates faculty an amount equal to the difference between the minimum salary of the lecturer A rank and their current salary for either the semester or the academic year.
Faculty are eligible for this type of leave after six years and then after three consecutive years of service since their last leave.
Professional Leave of Absence without Pay
Professional leaves of absence without pay may be for purposes of research, advanced study, professional development, or other purposes of benefit to the University.
Guides and Information
- Outline for a Sabbatical / Difference in Pay Proposal
- Outline for a Sabbatical / Difference in Pay Report
- Sabbatical/DIP Instruction Memo Sept. 12, 2006
Professional Leave Forms
- Sabbatical & DIP Leave Request Form - For use by Faculty
- Sabbatical & DIP Review Form - For use by Departments
- Promissory Note
- Professional Leave without Pay