Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Faculty Affairs

Substitute Assignments

It is sometimes necessary for programs to temporarily replace faculty who, because of illness or other absences, are unable to meet their assigned instructional duties.  Such substitutions are governed in part by the Unit 3 (Faculty) Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) Article 20.8.

Please email the Office of Faculty Affairs for consultation regarding substitute assignments at 

 There are three types of substitutions:

 The CBA at Article 20.8 allows faculty to substitute for colleagues for periods of short duration on a voluntary basis, and this practice is often used when the absence entails only a limited number of classes and involves modest amounts of preparation for the faculty member doing the substituting.  The CBA requires prior approval of the program chair for such arrangements.

 Because the University currently receives no separate allocation to pay for substitutes, funds for this purpose are normally drawn from part-time faculty funds in the Program in which the substitute is hired.  For substitutions of short duration (the CBA refers to normally 20 or fewer days), faculty are to be compensated at the hourly rate on the current salary schedule for class code 2356.


  1. Workload reduction in subsequent semester

For periods in excess of 20 days, the CBA states that compensation is to be in the form of a workload reduction, given as soon as is practicable (e.g., a faculty member who substituted for a colleague for most of the semester in a 3-unit class might be given a 3-unit reduction in workload the following semester in the same academic year).  This must done in consultation with the affected Faculty member and memorialized in writing by both the faculty member and the Dean.  In the event the substitute is not returning, compensation would be required at the time of separation.  Article 12.29(d) of Unit 3 (Faculty) Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) provides additional information regarding workload reduction for temporary faculty assigned work in excess of 15 wtu. 

 2. Replacements

When it is not known at the time of appointment whether or not a regular faculty member will be returning or when the faculty member is returning from his/her absence and the duration is within a 20 days, the replacement may initially be hired as a substitute and paid at the appropriate Lecture rate of pay under job code 2356.

If the appointment is known to be of a longer duration (normally in excess of 20 days), a temporary lecturer appointment may be processed for the substitute employee which may be a late start/early term appointment offer for the applicable Academic days or may cover the full Academic Year. 

1. Offer to current Tenured/Tenure Track (T/T-T) or Lecturers  

2. If a certain expertise is required which is only available from a current Tenure/Tenure Track (T/T-T) faculty member, the T/T-T faculty member may be released from part of his/her assigned classes to cover the needed class, and a "substitute" for his/her vacated class may be appointed

3. Hire qualified temporary faculty outside the department, using the normal process and forms for temporary lecturer appointments. Click to follow instructions to submit new hire application.

  •  Full-Time faculty members (whether tenured, probationary, or temporary) are exempt employees and are not eligible for substitute pay; they cannot go over 1.0 timebase (see CBA, Article 36.5 below).
  • Substitute work is not of a substantially different nature than their primary or normal employment, therefore, they cannot be paid Additional Pay for the substitute teaching assignment (36.5(a)).
  • Faculty on "paid" leaves (Sabbatical, DIP) are considered to be in work status (thus, full-time status).
  • Per the Collective Bargaining Agreement on Limitations on Additional Employment:
  • 36.5 A faculty unit employee shall be limited in CSU employment to the equivalent of one (1) full-time [position]. An “overage” of up to twenty-five percent (25%) of a full-time position shall be allowed if the overage employment: 

(a) consists of employment of a substantially different nature from his/her primary or normal employment; 

(b) is funded from non-general fund sources; 

(c) is the result of the accrual of part-time employment on more than one (1) campus; 


(d) is necessary to meet a temporary faculty employee’s entitlement to full-time work, or to offer work to a part-time temporary faculty employee up to full time under provision 12.29 (a) (8) or (b) (9). However, in no case shall a faculty unit employee’s entitlement to subsequent employment at a campus exceed full-time in any academic term.

  •  Part-Time Lecturers (Job Code 2356)

The Substitute Pay form is a template in docusign "OFA - Substitute Pay Form." Please contact Faculty Affairs if you need assistance in completing the form or have any questions on when to use.

Substitute faculty are paid for actual hours worked in the classroom: the hourly rate includes: contact hours with students, normal office hours, grading time and prep time in relation to the course(s) taught.  

Temporary Faculty Salary Schedule click here

  • Teaching Associates  (Job Code 2453)

Contact Faculty Affairs to complete and submit the Substitute Pay Form for Teaching Associate

The Substitute Teaching Associate is a qualified Unit 11 employee: current TA and enrolled in a master's program as specified in UAW/CSU CBA, article 2.6. They are paid: Base Rate *6/85/8 = hourly rate.


See Also

CSU Total Compensation Calculator


Professional Enrichment

Campus Links