- The hiring of Academic Student Employees (Teaching Associates, Graduate Assistants, and Instructional Student Assistants) is regulated by the articles of the Collective Bargaining Agreement as agreed upon by the CSU and the UAW (Bargaining Unit 11). The current CBA covers the period of November 13, 2018 through September 30, 2020 and may be accessed at: https://www2.calstate.edu/csu-system/faculty-staff/labor-and-employee-relations/Pages/unit11-uaw.aspx
- Care must be taken to ensure that Agreement articles related to appointment and notice, as well as CSU System-wide Classification and Qualification Standards are upheld.
- Please review the Policies and Salary Resources. Dean's offices may adjust salaries based on level of candidacy.
Policies and Resources
Teaching Associates are given work assignments that primarily involve classroom and laboratory instruction. Responsibility for preparing course materials and administering the course is vested in the TA under the direct supervision of a faculty member.
Teaching Associates may serve a maximum of twenty (20) hours per week. Work Assignments are to be closely associated with their program of study or the academic department in which they are enrolled. Teaching Associates appointed for less than half-time may be appointed concurrently in another student classification, up to a combined total of approximately 20 hours per week.
Job Announcements for TA's will be posted to the Careers Page at https://careers.fresnostate.edu/en-us/listing/
- Procedures for Creating a Job Announcement (available in OFA ToolKit)
- Procedures for Hiring NEW TA's (instructions available in OFA ToolKit)
Duties Form - Required for ALL Unit 11 Employees
- Duties Form: Template in Adobe SIgn and instructions in OFA ToolKit,
If a student has not worked in as an employee with Fresno State, the appointment will be a NEW Hire. Submit all required and Faculty Affairs will reach out for a Payroll Intake Session.
New Hires are also considered changing positions and will require a New Hire Payroll Intake Session:
- (a) ISA --> TA;
- (b) ISA --> GA;
- (c) GA --> TA