Jan and Bud Richter Center
Every Neighborhood Partnership (ENP) and Fresno State partner to support ENP Reads, a local initiative focused on helping elementary age students read at grade level while providing work-study students with learning opportunities.
In 1997, Fresno State developed the Fresno Reading Enrichment and Academic Development through Service (Fresno READS) project with the goal of helping young children improve literacy skills, while fostering a genuine love of books and reading.
Today, Fresno State has partnered with ENP Reads, a program by Every Neighborhood Partnership (ENP), a long-time community partner. Since 2008, ENP has connected churches and community partners across the city with elementary schools, and equipped them to serve through their active presence in every neighborhood. This partnership will continue to provide Fresno State work-study students with valuable service and learning opportunities.
The ENP Reads program trains and places mentors at local elementary schools during the school day, at after school programs, and on Saturdays. ENP Reads Mentors work with a team of mentors at one elementary shool site/neighborhood to run the programs listed below. Each mentor may work any combination of the three programs.
- Literacy Mentor Program - support K-6th-grade students in classrooms one on one on their early literacy skills (training and curriculum provided). Support the classroom teacher with other duties as needed. Potential work hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Read Fresno After School Program - support after-school literacy intervention program that serves 20-25 children in grades K-6th. Plan and implement lessons in small and large groups under the guidance of a site lead and in collaboration with a team. Potential work hours are Monday through Thursday 2:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturday Sports Program - engage and play with students on Saturday mornings at elementary school sites. Lead games and activities as needed. Potential work hours are Saturdays 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Select the "Become an ENP Reads Mentor" tab for additional information and application materials.
If you are searching to make a difference this year, become an ENP Reads Mentor! ENP Reads works to raise the reading and academic abilities of local elementary school students each year.
ENP Reads is recruiting qualified students for the 2023-24 academic year to serve as mentors. If you qualify, starting pay is $17.00 per hour. Mentors work approximately 10-15 hours per week, based on work-study eligibility. In order to qualify for one of these openings, you must:
- be eligible for Financial Aid Work Study funds;
- have excellent oral and written English language skills; and
- be interested in working with elementary-aged children.
We'll be hosting two info sessions in March. If you are interested in learning more about the program, email Andrea Ricci at email@example.com, and sign-up for an info session.
Applications for the 2023-24 academic year will be available in April 2023!