Jan and Bud Richter Center
Module Three: How Do I Get Started?
Preparing Service AND Learning Goals for Your Class
In this Video: Dr. Sally Tannenbaum and Richter Center Director Chris Fiorentino explain how to get started with Service-Learning
First, simply by accessing this web site, you have already "started" the process of designing a course in which engagement is utilized. It is clear that something has piqued your interest in this powerful pedagogy.
This module contains information about developing the service-learning component of your course and includes resources to:
- allow you to identify effective programs.
- assess the learning objectives for the your course.
- integrate the best practices of developing service-learning assignments.
- selecting the appropriate community based organization(s) for student placement.
- help you design service-learning assignments that reinforce course learning goals.
- to develop assignments that provide meaningful service to the community.
- to underscore the importance of preparing your students for service
- provide you with a syllabi template that outlines a course that effectively incorporates service-learning into the curriculum.