Jan and Bud Richter Center
Before designing your course, consider the following elements critical to productive programs:
- engage people in responsible and challenging actions for the common good.
- provide structured opportunities for people to reflect critically on their service experience.
- articulate clear service and learning objectives for everyone involved.
- whenever possible, allow for those with needs, or those closest to them, to define those needs.
- clarify the responsibilities of each person and organization involved.
- match service providers and service needs through a process that recognizes changing circumstances.
- expect genuine, active, and sustained organizational commitment.
- include training, supervision, monitoring, support, recognition, and evaluation to meet service and learning goals.
- insure that the time commitment for service and learning is flexible, appropriate, and in the best interests of all involved.